Today Sony Announced the return of the new and improved – more secure – PSN, along with a thank you gift for all PSN members.
Tokyo, MAY 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on.
First services to be reactivated include:
- Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
- This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
- Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
- Access to account management and password reset
- Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
- Friends List
- Chat Functionality
Sony beefs up security
On a more serious side Sony is also beefing up their security with the addition of the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation. Sony is also rolling out several new security measures, like:
- Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
- Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
- Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
- Implementation of additional firewalls
In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.
And now the Good news!
Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:
- Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
- All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
- Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Free stuff sounds like it applies only to people who have playstations. I no longer have a playstation but sony still had my info. Guess I dont get compensation?
Yeah, it looks like only active members will benefit from these perks as they are all in network. It’s unfortunate you didn’t keep your PS3.
Anyone else getting tired of websites posting THE SAME NEWS OVER AND OVER AGAIN?! Stop posting the same piece of news over and over again. Unless SONY finally gives an actual date and time that the psn is restored no one wants to read and re read the same news.
I’m sorry you feel that way, but not everyone reads all the same sites, and we likely all get very similar information from the publishers and developers. Not much I can do about that… The news in the news.
Are you just as upset when CNN, BBC and NBC all report the same news too?